Pope Park, Hartford, Connecticut
The Park was donated to the City in 1895 by Colonel Albert Augustus Pope for use of his employees and city residents. Colonel Pope was founder of the Pope Manufacturing Company, which built both automobiles and bicycles, including the popular Columbia bicycle. The park was landscaped by the renowned Olmsted Brothers design firm in 1898.
In its original form, the park consisted of 90.5 acres (366,000 m²) laid out in 3 sections. Today it contains athletic fields and a recreation center, in addition to its original pond and grass lawns.