Okeechobee County, Florida
Table of contents
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 35,910 people, 12,593 households, and 9,016 families residing in the county. The population density is 18/km² (46/mi²). There are 15,504 housing units at an average density of 8/km² (20/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 79.28% White, 7.92% Black or African American, 0.54% Native American, 0.67% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 9.56% from other races, and 1.99% from two or more races. 18.61% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 12,593 households out of which 30.40% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.50% are married couples living together, 10.70% have a female householder with no husband present, and 28.40% are non-families. 21.50% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.10% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.69 and the average family size is 3.07.
In the county the population is spread out with 25.20% under the age of 18, 9.50% from 18 to 24, 27.10% from 25 to 44, 21.90% from 45 to 64, and 16.30% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 115.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 115.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $30,456, and the median income for a family is $35,163. Males have a median income of $25,574 versus $20,160 for females. The per capita income for the county is $14,553. 16.00% of the population and 11.80% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 19.90% of those under the age of 18 and 10.30% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities and towns
Government links/Constitutional offices
- Okeechobee County Board of County Commissioners official website
- Okeechobee County Supervisor of Elections
- Okeechobee County Property Appraiser
- Okeechobee County Sheriff's Office
- Okeechobee County Tax Collector
- School Board of Okeechobee County
- South Florida Water Management District
- St. Johns River Water Management District
- Okeechobee County Clerk of Courts
- Public Defender, 19th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, and Indian River counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 19th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Circuit and County Court for the 19th Judicial Circuit of Florida