Levy County, Florida
Table of contents
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 34,450 people, 13,867 households, and 9,679 families residing in the county. The population density is 12/km² (31/mi²). There are 16,570 housing units at an average density of 6/km² (15/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 85.88% White, 10.97% Black or African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.96% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. 3.89% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 13,867 households out of which 27.40% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.40% are married couples living together, 11.80% have a female householder with no husband present, and 30.20% are non-families. 24.90% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.60% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.44 and the average family size is 2.88.
In the county the population is spread out with 23.60% under the age of 18, 6.90% from 18 to 24, 25.00% from 25 to 44, 26.60% from 45 to 64, and 17.90% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 41 years. For every 100 females there are 94.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 90.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $26,959, and the median income for a family is $30,899. Males have a median income of $26,029 versus $20,252 for females. The per capita income for the county is $14,746. 18.60% of the population and 15.00% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 25.80% of those under the age of 18 and 12.90% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities and towns
Government links/Constitutional offices
- Levy County Board of County Commissioners
- Levy County Supervisor of Elections
- Levy County Property Appraiser
- Levy County Sheriff's Office
- Levy County Tax Collector
- Levy County School Board
- Suwanee River Water Management District
- Southwest Florida Water Management District
- Levy County Clerk of Courts
- Office of the State Attorney, 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy, and Union Counties
- Circuit and County Court for the 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida
Tourism links/Chambers of Commerce
- Withlacoochee/Gulf Area Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Chiefland Chamber of Commerce
- Fanning Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Cedar Key Area Chamber of Commerce