Table of contents
In other languages
Iso means the following in other languages:
Iso- is a prefix indicating equality or similarity (derived from the Greek word mentioned earlier). Many English words, especially of a technical nature, contain the prefix. See the list of English words containing the prefix, iso-.
Iso may also be used as an abbreviation for other words containing the prefix.
International Organization for Standardization
ISO is the short name of the International Organization for Standardization, a global federation of over a hundred national standards bodies with central secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland. This short name is derived from the Greek word meaning equal. It is not an acronym for the organization's name in any of its working languages, though it is conventionally written in all capitals.
An ISO standard is an international standard published by the International Organization for Standardization. Although more than 15000 ISO standards have been published so far, each identified by a document number, the term ISO is in some fields commonly used just on its own as a shortname for something defined in one of these specifications. For example:
- In photography, the ISO number is the measure of film speed (sensitivity of photographic film to light exposure) defined in international standard ISO 5800.
- In computing, an ISO file or ISO image (in context also just ISO, .iso or .ISO) is an ISO 9660 image, a bitstream that represents a CD-ROM file system as defined in international standard ISO 9660.
ISO is also a three-letter acronym which can stand for:
- the International Sugar Organization
- in astronomy, the Infrared Space Observatory
- in the British honours system, the Imperial Service Order
- in the electrical generation and transmission industry, Independent System Operator
- the Institute for Social Organization (a US Jesuit think-tank founded in 1943 and closed in the early 1960s)
- the International Socialist Organization, a political organization active in the United States
- `in search of' (usually iso or i.s.o.) in personal columns.
Iso or ISO may also refer to:
- Iso automobile, an Italian automobile manufacturer, who developed the Isetta bubble car and various sports cars
- i.s.o., a gay-themed comic book (derived from the acronym for `in search of' and the greek for equal).
- ISO may also refer to a class of sailing dinghy manufactured by topper. The ISO is a high performance two person, single trapeze GRP 4.74 m dinghy, featuring an asymmetric spinnaker of 21 sq. metres, and has terrific down wind performance.