Guru Arjan Dev Ji (15 April 1563 – 30 May 1606) was the fifth of the Ten Gurus of Sikhism and became Guru on 1 September1581 following in the footsteps of Guru Ram Das ji. Before Guru Ji died, he nominated Guru Hargobind Ji, his son as the next Guru of the Sikhs.The following is a summary of the main highlights of Guru Ji life:
- Huge number of hymns in the Guru Granth Sahib – over 2000
- Author of Sukhmani Sahib Bani – Prayer for Peace
- Compiled and installed for the first time the holy Sikh Book, which at this stage is called Adi Granth.
- Built the Golden Temple
- Developed Amritsar as a Centre of Excellence.
- Enhanced the Structure of Sikh Society by introducing the Masund system
- First Sikh Guru to be martyred.
Hymn by Guru Arjan Dev from the Sukhmani Sahib- SGGS from page 262
- Meditate, meditate, meditate peace is obtained, Worry and anguish is expelled from the body.
- Remembering God, you’re not reborn. Remembering God, the fear of death is dispelled.
- Remembering God, death is eliminated. Remembering God, your enemies are repelled.
- Remembering God, no obstacles are met. Remembering God, night and day you’re fully awake.
- Remembering God, fear cannot touch you. Remembering God, you don’t suffer with sorrow.
- Remembrance of God, in the Company of Saints. All treasures, O Nanak, are by Lord’s Blessing. ||2||
Guru Ram Das
(24 September 1534 – 1 September 1581)
|Guru Arjan||Followed by:|
(19 June 1595 – 03 March 1644)
|These are the Ten Gurus of Sikhism|