Also Eupatoria or Evpatoria; town in the Crimea. The original settlement, called Kerkinitida, was built by Greek colonists around 500 BCE. Along with the rest of the Crimea, Yevpatoria was part of the dominions of Mithridates VI, King of Pontus, from whose nickname, "Eupator", the city's modern name derives.
From roughly the 7th through the 10th centuries CE Yevpatoria was a Khazar settlement; it's name in Turkic is "Gusliev" or "Beautiful Settlement" (in modern Turkish, "Geslev"; Russified as "Koslov"). It was later subject to the Cumans, the Mongols and the Crimean Khanate, and became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1478. In 1783 Yevpatoria was captured by the Russians. It was briefly occupied in 1854 by British, French and Turkish troops during the Crimean War.
Today Yevpatoria is a major Ukrainian Black Sea port, a rail hub, and resort town. The main industries include fishing, food processing, wine making, limestone quarrying, weaving, and the manufacture of building materials, machinery, and furniture manufacturing.