Dean is a title given to some institutions' senior or supervisory staff.
- In a university, a dean is often the head of a division, faculty, college, or school. See academic administration.
- In a school, a dean may have a counseling role and enforce discipline.
- In diplomacy, the title Dean of the Diplomatic Corps is sometimes given to the most senior ambassador in a country's diplomatic corps.
- In politics, the title Dean of the House is sometimes given to the most senior member of a country's legislature.
- In a cathedral or other collegiate church, the dean is the chief resident clergyman, the head of the chapter of canons.
- In the Roman Catholic Church, a dean is responsible for a number of parishes within his diocese. In the Church of England, this official is called a 'rural dean.'
Dean Guitars is a manufacturer of guitars and other musical instruments.
In geography, Dean is a common place name, meaning 'valley'.
- Dean, Bedfordshire
- Dean, Cumbria
- Dean, Devon
- Dean, Dorset
- Dean, Hampshire
- Dean, Oxfordshire
- Dean, Somerset
- Dean Prior, Devon
- Dean Row, Greater Manchester
- Deane, Greater Manchester
- Deane, Hampshire
- East Dean, East Sussex
- East Dean, Hampshire
- East Dean, West Sussex
- Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
- Hedgerley & Dean, Buckinghamshire
- West Dean, Hampshire
- West Dean, West Sussex
There are some notable people who are referred to by the name "Dean".
- Dean Allen is lead developer of Textpattern, a CMS and Blog software. He is also the co-founder of TextDrive, a web hosting company. He first made his mark on the web with Textism.
- Howard Dean was a US presidential candidate in 2004 elections, and former Vermont governor.
- Dean Martin was a musician, and member of the Rat Pack
- Dean Torrence was part of the musical group Jan and Dean
- James Dean was an iconographic actor