Table of contents
Carmel is located at 39°58'23" North, 86°6'28" West (39.972917, -86.107877)1.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 37,733 people, 13,597 households, and 10,564 families residing in the city. The population density is 818.0/km² (2,118.4/mi²). There are 14,107 housing units at an average density of 305.8/km² (792.0/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 92.63% White, 1.47% African American, 0.14% Native American, 4.38% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. 1.72% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 13,597 households of which 43.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.3% are married couples living together, 6.6% have a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% are non-families. 18.9% of all households are made up of individuals and 6.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.74 and the average family size is 3.16.
In the city the population is spread out with 30.2% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 94.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 90.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $81,583, and the median income for a family is $94,210. Males have a median income of $70,618 versus $38,917 for females. The per capita income for the city is $38,906. 2.5% of the population and 1.6% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 2.5% of those under the age of 18 and 2.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Just north of 116th St., between Gray Road and Hazel Dell Parkway, you will find Flowing Well Park, which contains a natural artesian well. The park offers a small hike in the woods as well as the well, which provides very good drinking water.
The Monon Trail is part of the Rail to Trails movement. It runs from 10th near downtown Indianapolis through Broad Ripple and then crosses into Carmel at 96th Street and ends at 146th Street. In the future, it will run all the way to Sheridan.
More information concerning the Monon Trail.
Carmel High School
The Carmel Clay area was settled by Quakers in the early 1830s. In 1833 they constructed a meeting house on a hill where today the old Carmel Cemetery rests. It was common practice among Quakers well into the 20th Century to give names to their meetings. Benjamin Mendenhall suggested the name Richland for the new meeting. The same year a school was started in that meeting house, and in 1835 the log structure was doubled in size. Throughout most of the 19th Century, education in both Carmel and most of the nation was provided by public elementary schools and private academies (post-eighth grade education).
Richland school was replaced by a larger wood frame structure a couple of years later on the northwest corner of Rangeline and Smoky Row roads. In 1845, a frame school building was constructed near the same site. In 1867 an all-brick Carmel Academy was built on land now housing the Carmel Wesleyan Methodist Church.
By 1887 the community warranted a larger and more permanent structure, and the cornerstone of the first Carmel High School was laid on Sept. 23, 1887, on a small hill located on the east side of First Avenue SE and Fifth Street SE. This two-story brick structure would house grades one through ten with no frills, just classrooms. Because the town of Carmel was founded on a boundary separating Clay and Delaware townships, the school was administered jointly by trustees of the two townships.
The new Carmel High School was opened in 1888, with the first class graduating in 1890. Those first six graduates were Harry Symons, Frank Moffitt, Luther Haines, Edwin Farlow, Charles Hunt, and Clinton Reynolds. By the end of the decade, the curriculum had grown to three, then four years, and the first class to have four years of education was graduated in 1901.
During the early part of the 20th century, public high schools became more concerned with the affective domain (how education is taught) as well as the cognitive (content). Consequently during the early decades of the century commercial (business) classes were added to the curriculum as well as industrial arts and home economics. Many of these courses were vocational in nature. The old 1887 building would soon be outgrown and inadequate for the new curricular changes.
In 1921, land was purchased on the east side of Carmel and a new school was designed to house grades one through twelve. The new facility would sport a gymnasium, library, and a 600-seat auditorium. In 1955, local citizens decided the community needed to organize a school district headed by a superintendent. Forest Stoops, the county superintendent, was hired and the state legislature was persuaded to move the township boundary east to White River. Carmel Clay Schools began in 1956. In 1958, a new Carmel High School was opened at its present site. A small addition was added to the gymnasium in 1961, and a large addition including swimming pool, auditorium, and new classrooms was opened in 1969. A third freestanding addition was opened in 1977 located between the 1921 building (called "Old North"), and the new Carmel High School. A "final" construction project was begun in 1990 and was dedicated in April of 1999.
During the past 110 years, Carmel High School has graduated 20,313 students. CHS played in the first basketball game in the county in 1903, defeating Atlanta [Indiana] 4–2. Currently CHS has 21 sports teams and a nationally renowned performing arts department, yearbook, newspaper and academic curriculum. More than 3,200 students in grades nine through twelve were enrolled during the 1998–99 school year.
from an article by Mr. James Garretson, former chairman of the CHS Social Studies Department which appeared in HiLite April 25, 1999
- Maps and aerial photos