Table of contents
- Beowulf might have been written down in this century, though it could also have been in the 8th century
- Reign of Charlemagne, and concurrent (and controversially labeled) Carolingian Renaissance in western Europe
- Viking attacks on Europe begin
- Oseberg ship burial
- The Magyars arrive in what is now Hungary, forcing the Serbs and Bulgars south of the Danube.
- The Tukolor settle in the Senegal river valley.
- Muslim traders settle in the north-west and south-east of Madagascar.
- around 813-around 915 – period of serious Arab naval raids on shores of Tyrrhenian and Adriatic seas
- 800–909 – rule of Aghlabids as independent dynasty in North Africa
- 850–875 – The first Norse settlers arrive on Iceland.
- 863–879 – period of schism between eastern and western churches
- Late 9th century: Bulgaria stretches from the mouth of the Danube to Epirus and Bosnia.
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
- Vulgar Latin begins to devolve into various Romance languages
- First image of a rotary grindstone in a European source – illustration shows crank, first known use of a crank in the West (Utrecht Psalter, A.D. 843)
- Invention of gunpowder by Chinese Taoist Alchemists
Decades and years