1604 1605 1606 – 1607 – 1608 1609 1610
| Decades: |
1570s 1580s 1590s – 1600s – 1610s 1620s 1630s
| Centuries: |
16th century – 17th century – 18th century
- January 20 – Tidal wave swept along the Bristol Channel, killing 2000 people. (Possibly tsunami)
- April 25 – Battle of Gibraltar Dutch fleet destroys anchored Spanish fleet
- April 26 – English colonists make landfall at Cape Henry, Virginia, later moving up the James River to found Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America.
- Spain is effectively bankrupt.
- The British national anthem, God Save the King, is first sung.
- Rule of Andorra is passed jointly to the king of France and the Bishop of Urgell.
- June 8 – Newton Rebellion: 40–50 peasants killed by landowners Tresham family during protests against enclosure of common land in Newton, Northamptonshire,UK – culmination of Midlands Revolt.
- Yaqob is defeated in battle and deposed by his cousin Sissinios, who then becomes Emperor of Ethiopia.
- March 12 – Paul Gerhardt, German hymnist (d. 1676)
- March 24 – Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter, Dutch admrial (d. 1676)
- November 26 – John Harvard, American clergyman (d. 1638)