1537 1538 1539 – 1540 – 1541 1542 1543
| Decades: |
1510s 1520s 1530s – 1540s – 1550s 1560s 1570s
| Centuries: |
15th century – 16th century – 17th century
- January 6 – King Henry VIII of England marries Anne of Cleves, his fourth Queen consort.
- July 9 – King Henry VIII of England divorces Anne of Cleves, his fourth Queen consort.
- July 28 – One of the most important political figures of the reign of Henry VIII of England, Thomas Cromwell, is executed on order from the king on charges of treason. Henry marries his fifth wife, Catherine Howard, on the same day.
- Spain, Foundation of Society of Jesus, Catholicism
- French translation of John Calvin's L'Institution chrétienne (originally in Latin)
- Gelawdewos succeeds his father Lebna Dengel as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- June 3 – Archduke Charles II of Austria, regent of Inner Austria (d. 1590)
- Amago Yoshihisa, Japanese samurai and warlord (d. 1610)
- Joseph Justus Scaliger, French protestant scholar (d. 1609)
- May 22 – Francesco Guicciardini, Italian statesman (b. 1483)
- July 28 – Thomas Cromwell, English statesman (executed)
- September 2 – Lebna Dengel, Emperor of Ethiopia (died in battle) (b. 1501)
- Thomas Abell, priest
- Elizabeth Blount, mistress of Henry VIII of England
- Federico II of Gonzaga, Marquis of Mantua (b. 1500)